109. Assorted woodwork

I've been completing some details

9th August 2016








I’ve recently been pursuing a variety of woodwork jobs at diverse levels of tolerance: everything from carefully chiseled joints to quick work with a jig-saw and power drill.

The most complex job was making a casement window for our upstairs greenhouse, filling a gap left a year ago when we made and installed all the fixed leaded windows. I used 2x1 oak to make the window frame, into which I routed a rebate for the window. I jointed the wood using bridle joints then glued and cramped it all together. I then made the window using lead cames and a combination of P1 glass (reproduction Georgian glass), ordinary float glass, and a single piece of original crown glass from a very old house in Wiltshire (thanks John!). You can see the crown glass in the photo – it is slightly darker than the others and the defects and ripples are more pronounced.


Another fine job was the corners of our window seat, going round the curve from the zombie drawers to the wall. Here I repeated the detail I used to finish the kitchen: vertical ribbed walnut pieces fitted with tiny brass modelling screws. I had just enough walnut left over from the kitchen to complete the job.

Our porch/larder is also now fully functional, if not complete (I want to tile the floor and paint the ceiling) thanks to new shelves, a foot rack made from off-cuts from the staircase treads, and a coat rack made from the pew I used to make the architrave for the front door.  The shelves are already heaving with homemade plum jam.






We had planned to get rid of the workbench once the build is complete but we’ve decided to keep it instead. Partly because I made it myself but also because it actually looks quite cool as a decorative table underneath the staircase. In years to come we can bring it back into use whenever we're feeling a little crafty




6 comments:

  1. Looking great.

    Been thinking of making a shoe rack for the porch, this has inspired me, the taper is a great idea.

    Also every house should have a vice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it has proved to be a great design - you can see and access all the shoes without having to crouch down. It was inspired by the wedge-shaped offcuts from the staircase treads which I knew would find a good home.
      Actually we have two vices, one at each end!

      Delete
  2. Loving this! Something so magical about the old crown glass - there are still some houses glazed with it in out of the way places in Northants, and they have such personality. The windows glow and flicker with life. So glad you've got some at The Orchard! Thea xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's only one piece but it's delightful. Most of the glass in the greenhouse is P1 reproduction crown glass which is lovely and rippled but doesn't quite have the magic of the original x

      Delete
  3. Just so much joy in every post sir, I have loved following your progress :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you're hanging on in there Phill! Still some serious woodwork to do - like making the interior doors: oak with stained glass in the upper panels. It ain't going to be a quick job.

      Delete